Intro

We named our blog “Raising Mustard Seeds” after the famous parable in Matthew’s Gospel. We had some mustard seeds of our own laying dormant in our hearts, and finally, the year before our marriage, we began to let those seeds grow. Our journey with Christ hasn’t always been easy, but it has bore more fruit than we could possibly imagine. And through the mustard seeds He planted in our hearts, He opened them to receive little mustard seeds of our own…

While Jesus in this parable is talking about how faith and our relationship with God should grow from something very small to something mighty and powerful, it’s applicable to our children as well. It is our hope that through prayer and proper parenting, our children will grow from small and helpless (tiny mustard seeds) to being mighty in Christ, so that they will be shining lights in the world and people will come to “dwell in the branches” of their faith.

So, this is our little space in the big internet where we will share our most likely crazy experiences as we start our family and we hope those who are close to us will enjoy laughing at us and with us, and maybe even learn something new :)

Friday, September 13, 2013

5 Peeks into our Chill Week (#3)

1. I made Gianna a mobile for her crib! I based it off of this Martha Stewart version, except without the "Martha Stewart flower punch cutter thing" that probably costs $10 by itself. And without a stick from the yard. Chris said no organic things in the house (which makes...total....sense...) so I used an embroidery hoop that I upcycled from another DIY project. I made the birdies out of cards from Gianna's baby shower. I knew I kept those colorful pieces of delightfulness for a reason. I bought the beads ($2.50...but I only used like $0.50 worth) and thick string from Michael's ($0.70), so the whole thing cost me less than $1.50.

 Up close

 Hanging in her room

High up enough that she won't use it to pull up on or strangle herself ;-)

2. Finally took Gianna to the chiropractor to get adjusted post-birth. Yeah, I know, that was like almost 8 months ago, but hey, better late than never, right? Babies are cooped up for 9 months and particularly squished at the end without much room to move, and then squeezed out of the womb like a tube of toothpaste, so it makes sense that they can be a little out of balance. Because she's crawling and will most likely walk in the new few months, I wanted Gianna to have everything in proper alignment.

 Dr. Ashley Feldman, recommended by my friend Lisa, is pretty cool and adjusts babies for $10. It was so quick and gentle. She did most of the adjusting with her fingertips while I was holding her, some while Gianna laid on top of me (we both laid down so that she would be more relaxed), and some with this clicker device.

**I know some people have beef with chiropractors. That's fine. I know there are some total medical quack chiros that really mess people up. I'm mostly friends with hippies, so we tend to seek out a more holistic type that can in many ways, serve as primary care when something is wrong or you feel like you're getting sick, and even help with problems from chronic ear infections to food allergies and more.


3. We got sick! Stomach bugs for me and Chris last week and then Gianna had a fever and maybe a slight stomach bug earlier this week. Now we all have allergies. Gracious. We have been slacking on our probiotic beverages (and I can't eat yogurt anymore anyway) so we will need to up that now that Fall is nearing. I took Gianna getting sick it as an excuse to chill a little bit and take a break from unpacking/organizing and instead watch a couple movies, play, work on artsy stuff (see above) and Communities of Prayer guide.s

4. New Feeding Strategy. Gianna is, to say the least difficult, to feed. She is not content with holding 1 spoon, but needs to hold 2 spoons. She will then take a bite of whatever I've given her and then puts a spoon in her mouth and spits all the food onto it (accidentally at this point). Or alternatively, she will take a spoon full of food out of my hand and put it in her mouth (and not effectively get any food off it) and proceed to fling it everywhere.

Now, from the beginning, I had planned to do mostly Baby Led Weaning (which is the British version of baby led first foods), but I honestly don't feel super comfortable giving her really solid hunks of food to knaw at until she has teeth. She can do pretty well with a potato, peach, avocado, orange slice, etc for now. However, I did my share of spoon feeding with a piece of mashed banana, chicken and rice, etc. She was getting pretty good at eating, too, except she has a "do it self" attitude of a toddler, so...yeah.

Well, on a whim, after a chat with my friend Josie at a new baby welcoming get together, I just nixed the spoons altogether and put small pieces of food on Gianna's tray and a couple big chunks of fruit and hand fed her while she hand fed herself. If she had too much in her mouth, I encouraged her to swallow by giving her sips of water from a small cup, which she prefers to a sippy cup. OH MY GOSH. She has never eaten more at a meal! It worked beautifully. Good bye spoons, good bye plates! For now, at least.

You know. The thing is. All along I planned to wait until after she was 1 before introducing utensils and tableware because I thought it was silly for a baby, and then I just got so excited to use them, I forgot my initial resolve.

5. Gianna has become a little bit too cocky for my personal taste in her one handed standing trick.










No comments:

Post a Comment