Intro

We named our blog “Raising Mustard Seeds” after the famous parable in Matthew’s Gospel. We had some mustard seeds of our own laying dormant in our hearts, and finally, the year before our marriage, we began to let those seeds grow. Our journey with Christ hasn’t always been easy, but it has bore more fruit than we could possibly imagine. And through the mustard seeds He planted in our hearts, He opened them to receive little mustard seeds of our own…

While Jesus in this parable is talking about how faith and our relationship with God should grow from something very small to something mighty and powerful, it’s applicable to our children as well. It is our hope that through prayer and proper parenting, our children will grow from small and helpless (tiny mustard seeds) to being mighty in Christ, so that they will be shining lights in the world and people will come to “dwell in the branches” of their faith.

So, this is our little space in the big internet where we will share our most likely crazy experiences as we start our family and we hope those who are close to us will enjoy laughing at us and with us, and maybe even learn something new :)

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Gianna's Birth Story: 3 am-6 am



Missed the beginning? Read Part 1 and Part 2.

…Eventually, I heard Chris wake up to go to the bathroom. He must have seen that I wasn’t in bed, so he opened our bedroom door and saw me bent over the table swaying in pain. Bet he didn’t expect that… 

I checked the clock and saw that it was 3 am….

I told him I was having contractions and they sucked but that I didn’t know what to do and that I was wondering if I should call Thalia, the lead midwife and owner of Childbirth Services.  I remember Chris saying “wow, this is really the beginning of the real thing” or something like that. We were both in denial that a real baby would eventually come out I suppose. I explained to him my crazy birth logic (that I would have a 3 day labor, that I thought this might stop soon, etc ,etc ,etc). 

We decided to wait, but to go ahead and start packing our stuff for the birth center, just in case (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha). I packed clothes for me and Gianna and Chris did the rest. I was literally the least helpful human on earth because I spent 8 of every 10 minutes (yes, this is a total approximation) on the ground on all fours swaying my hips back and forth, trying to deal with the back labor. The contractions just wouldn’t stop and I couldn’t catch a break. They were one on top of the other it seemed. It was like going up a huge mountain and reaching the peak and coming 40% down and then going back up again—like I could never get back down to the ground. Remembering to take deep breaths and relaxing and letting my body worked helped to relax me, but truthfully all I could think was: THIS SUCKS!

At 4 am I finally told Chris that we needed to call Thalia because I didn’t think I could do this much longer and wondered if there was something I could do to ease the pain (ha ha ha ha…like have the baby?). Well, HE needed to call Thalia, because I wouldn’t be able to make it through a phone conversation. I didn’t do much talking at all that whole early morning, not really even making as much as a peep. I kept really quiet and just tried to get through each minute, because when it comes down to it, I really had no choice. It’s not like I could press the pause button and take a break, it was just a constant submission to the pain. Talking and making any kind of noise took too much effort…my attention needed to be directed elsewhere.
Side bar: Remember people, Chris at this point had just been diagnosed with the flu that morning and was running a fever, yet, somehow miraculously, was functioning like a normal human. 

Chris called Thalia, relaying all the information faithfully, assured us that I was doing everything I should be doing to cope, and confirmed that G was probably posterior. She was headed to the airport for something I can’t remember, but let us know that Carmen would meet us at the birth center and that she would call us when she was almost there so we could head over. Carmen lives over 30 minutes away, so that time, plus getting herself ready, meant it would be a little bit before we could head over. That was fine, because I had prepared myself to stay at home as long as humanly possible so that I wasn’t sitting around the birth center wondering when it was going to “happen” (I hate the idea of being a watched pot). In the reading I’d done, one of the biggest mistakes couples make is going to the hospital/birth center/calling the midwife/doctor too soon, getting there, and ending up being like 2 cm dilated and not even in active labor. I was determined not to be that girl. At this point, even though my contractions were kind of on top of each other, I still kept thinking how embarrassing it would be to get to the birth center and be told that I wasn’t in active labor. I would be 


  1. SO EMBARRASSED
  2. Disheartened
  3. Really rethinking my decision of natural childbirth and questioning my sanity and the sanity of every other woman who has had a child au naturale (if it was already this painful….)

Somehow we got everything packed in the next 2 hours (those were a complete and utter blur…did I really tolerate 2 more hours of that horribleness???) and headed to the birth center sometime at 6ish, I think. I had a contraction on the way to the car, and then 2 contractions on the 4 mile trip there. Truthfully, that was a break from what was going on at the apartment. I’m pretty sure we also hit nearly every light. SERIOUSLY!?!?! SERIOUSLY. I wanted Chris to turn on the hazards and run all the lights, but he didn’t.
We got to the house (birth center…it’s in a house) and waiting for Carmen to unlock the door. I was wearing some crazy orange shorts I picked up for $1 at old navy, a shirt I can’t remember, my short blue robe, and some black/grey flats—very cute LOL. Clearly, fashion was not my main concern. I seriously probably looked like a homeless person. We headed to the “Blue Room” (there are two birthing rooms…the blue room and the pink room…guess what colors they are decorated in…LOL) and I proceeded to have contraction on top of contraction while leant over the bed, swaying my hips back and forth to that now all familiar labor dance, thinking I hope I am in real labor, I hope I am in real labor….

It was 6:15 am. 

Stay tuned for the final 2 installments of the birth story! Get excited because the next part has pictures (no nudity eww) I just picked up a copy of the “labor transcript” from the midwives on Wednesday, so I’ll even have REAL TIMES to report (glad someone watched the clock lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment