Intro

We named our blog “Raising Mustard Seeds” after the famous parable in Matthew’s Gospel. We had some mustard seeds of our own laying dormant in our hearts, and finally, the year before our marriage, we began to let those seeds grow. Our journey with Christ hasn’t always been easy, but it has bore more fruit than we could possibly imagine. And through the mustard seeds He planted in our hearts, He opened them to receive little mustard seeds of our own…

While Jesus in this parable is talking about how faith and our relationship with God should grow from something very small to something mighty and powerful, it’s applicable to our children as well. It is our hope that through prayer and proper parenting, our children will grow from small and helpless (tiny mustard seeds) to being mighty in Christ, so that they will be shining lights in the world and people will come to “dwell in the branches” of their faith.

So, this is our little space in the big internet where we will share our most likely crazy experiences as we start our family and we hope those who are close to us will enjoy laughing at us and with us, and maybe even learn something new :)

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Everyone Needs a Pick-me-up :-)



Despite Tuesday's election results, there is still much to rejoice and laugh about and it seems like a bit of light heartedness is necessary. ALSO, please keep in mind: while we may have a President who does not respect the inherent dignity and value of human life or marriage and seems to think the totality of a woman’s care is getting free birth control, just to name a few, we serve a much greater Leader—the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, who said to Peter (rock), “…you are Peter, and upon this rock I shall build my church, and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it.” (Matt 16:18—emphasis mine) I'll stick with Jesus and "the rock" anyday!

I love this hymn, sung here by Ike Ndolo--"How Can I Keep From Singing? The chorus:
"No storm can shake my inmost calm, while to that rock I'm clinging. Since love is lord of heaven and earth, how can I keep from singing?"
 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pick me ups, Prego Style:
From Eat, Sleep, Poop: A Common Sense Guide to Your Baby’s First Year:

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wise/amusing/honest words from Money Secrets of the Amisha book I loved and would highly suggest to anyone looking to cut back, become more self-sufficient, and live simply.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving Pictures:
I am wildly obsessed with packing. I love to do it and am quite good at making things fit perfectly into small spaces (Maybe that will help with childbirth???…..let’s all laugh together at that one). As a testimony, here are a couple pictures of my car in the early stages of our move:
 
 Photo 1- Backseat of car: 1 long entryway table, 3 side tables, pillows, 3 boxes, odds and ends. In the front seat, not pictured, there was a vacuum, 2 boxes, and all my travel goodies (like food/purse, etc)










Photo 2- Trunk of car: 2 suitcases, 4 boxes, a brown woven chest thing that we keep blankets in, random bags filled with various things to take up every possible inch of space. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the MyFitnessPal app, I will be gone soon, as shown in the below picture. I track my nutrition/exercise stats on most days to make sure I’m not eating too much sugar and getting enough protein, iron, and fiber. When you’re finished for the day, it gives you a “prognosis” for the future 5 weeks and what you’d weigh if you stayed on the same track. I have been lying to MyFitnessPal because there’s no way to program in that I’m pregnant, but oh well. It’s been glitching a lot lately, but this is the best so far.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last, but not least, something that’s actually useful. Found a recipe online today for a homemade windshield de-icer/door defreezer, thought I’d pass it along. 

Windshield: Fill spray bottle with 1 part 70%+ alcohol, 2 parts room temp water, and 1 tsp dish detergent. Shake to blend. Spray on windshield and windows at night. If you forget to spray at night, you can also spray in the morning and the ice will melt.

Doors: Spray rubber door seal with cooking spray and rub in with a paper towel.

Could it get any cheaper/simpler than that? I bet most of you already have all that stuff at home!Stole the “recipe” from: http://thekrazycouponlady.com/at-home/ice-ice-baby-diy-de-icing-options/

2 comments:

  1. this is going to be uber-stalkerish of me, and i found you through a mutual facebook friend, but i think you met my husband jason tonight?? if so, i really hope you THREE can make it saturday night! we can talk about lacto-fermenting and soaking our grains :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, Hi!!! Yes, I definitely met your husband Jason last night...I think his ears perked up when something about "whey probiotics" was mentioned hahaha. Chris and I will be there Saturday night, we are so looking forward to meeting you and the rest of your family then! Please let me know if you need me to bring anything :-)

      Delete