Intro

We named our blog “Raising Mustard Seeds” after the famous parable in Matthew’s Gospel. We had some mustard seeds of our own laying dormant in our hearts, and finally, the year before our marriage, we began to let those seeds grow. Our journey with Christ hasn’t always been easy, but it has bore more fruit than we could possibly imagine. And through the mustard seeds He planted in our hearts, He opened them to receive little mustard seeds of our own…

While Jesus in this parable is talking about how faith and our relationship with God should grow from something very small to something mighty and powerful, it’s applicable to our children as well. It is our hope that through prayer and proper parenting, our children will grow from small and helpless (tiny mustard seeds) to being mighty in Christ, so that they will be shining lights in the world and people will come to “dwell in the branches” of their faith.

So, this is our little space in the big internet where we will share our most likely crazy experiences as we start our family and we hope those who are close to us will enjoy laughing at us and with us, and maybe even learn something new :)

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

More of my favorite things...Thanksgiving Style!

And Yes, it's food again! Plus some things I've very thankful for in this 31-32nd week of my pregnancy.

Have left over Thanksgiving ham and turkey? Here are two yummy solutions.
My favorite (food) things, post-Thanksgiving Style

If you've got a leftover ham bone, make a big ole pot of pinto beans!!
Pinto Beans (serves 8)

Ingredients
4 cups Pinto Beans (dry!)
1 Ham hock/ham bone (or 4 slices thick bacon or a couple chopped up slices ham)
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
1 teaspoon chopped garlic (2 cloves)
1-2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

Rinse beans in cool water; pour into a pot, cover with water by 2 to 3 inches. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer 2 hours, or until beans are tender. Add water to pot as needed. Beans should have a thick broth. After 2ish hours, add seasonings...taste...and add whatever else you want. They're absolutely delicious with this "best honey cornbread" recipe from moneysavingmom.com. (YES, you could just use a couple boxes of Jiffy mix, but this is so much more yummy!!!) Add a "dollop of daisy" and some fresh cilantro for garnish and you have a party! This is literally one of the cheapest things you could ever make and it's DELICIOUS! (recipe adapted from the Pioneer Woman: Beans and Cornbread)


This next one's not as cheap to make initially, but if you buy bell peppers and chop/freeze, wild rice, and orzo in bulk, you can make this recipe over and over again on the cheap with chicken! I promise it is worth it! I am making this for a COP Core Team Mtg this weekend and I. AM. SO. EXCITED. Even my super picky eater sister Breana loves it.
Turkey Orzo Casserole (makes 6-ish servings)

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
1 chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup green onions (I usually add more...love me some green onions)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1.5 cups low-sodium chicken or turkey broth (store bought or make your own)
1.5 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken
1.5 cups cooked wild rice
1.5 cups cooked orzo
1 cut grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons copped fresh parsley (again, I usually add more)

Melt butter in large skillet and  cook bell pepper and green onions until they're soft (about 5 min). Sprinkle flour over veggies and stir. Stir in broth, milk, and salt. Bring to simmer, and stir until mixture thickens, and then remove from heat. Heat oven to 350. Stir turkey, wild rice, and orzo into veggie mixture. Spoon into greased 11x7 or 13x9 glass or ceramic casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Bake 30-35 min or until bubbly and hot! If you're serving a large crowd, this recipe is incredibly easy to double, but I do suggest using the largest dish you have 13x9 or bigger (or just get one of those delightful disposable ones from the DollarTree!) and you make have to extend baking time, depending on your oven. **this recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge until dinner time 

-------------------------------
My Favorite things about this pregnancy (besides the obvious miracle growing in my belly!


I'm in the last 25% of my pregnancy and am now finally to have a little bit of the achy back and definitely grumpiness and more tiredness in general. I'm sure part of this is that we just finished moving and we worked SUPER HARD, and then basically jumped in a car and drove to Houston for Thanksgiving and I'm recovering a little bit from all of that, but truthfully, I am pregnant and getting fatter each day (LOL) and that's okay.

I do, however, also have much to be thankful for about this pregnancy:
  • I am thankful that I still have not had really any heartburn and have not experienced any annoying things that all the pregnancy websites said I would (like swelling, constipation, sleepless nights, etc...yeah yeah, TMI)
  • I am thankful that I am able to move around and exercise like a mostly normal human
  • I am incredibly thankful for for pelvic rocks and my prenatal pilates video because they literally make any lower back discomfort disappear
  • I am thankful for normal weight gain and mostly healthy eating (haha to that statement for last week's Thanksgiving binge) during pregnancy. Something to note: I have not had any specific cravings at all.
  • I am thankful for no sickness (other than morning sickness from 5-10 wks) and no need to take any sort of medicine what so ever during this pregnancy (I did take 2 tylenol about a month ago for a killer migraine, but that's it, I promise!)
  • I am thankful that I am still able to sleep soundly (thanks, Calcium supplements!!!)  and that I have the TIME to sleep 8-10 hours.
  • I am thankful for knowing to "tuck my tailbone in" when I stand/walk so that I don't have a horrible sway back, and thus, much less lower back pain.I think this is also why I don't "look" as pregnant--it's all in the posture!

Is it possible that at any moment one of these things could change? Sure. But for now, they make the very slight discomfort of pregnancy seem just that....slight. And for THAT, I am VERY thankful!

That reminds me....I've got some prenatal pilates videos to attend to :-)

**ALSO coming up this week: BIRTH BETS! Get excited. 

2 comments:

  1. Yum to that orzo recipe!!! Except I don't have orzo so I might just sub noodles? I wonder what else would work good? Maybe. Looks so good and I bought a HUGE turkey after Thanksgiving so I could cook it, freeze the meat and make a boatload of bone broth. You'll have to tell me more about the calcium to prevent sleepless nights? I had a great first pregnancy and the last one nearly killed me (more emotionally than anything since I suffered every pregnancy-related ailment known to woman). I have to take better care of myself if/when we have another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe rice? Since orzo is so close to that? I've also thought about using stars pasta (I have a bag laying around) lol

      My midwives first suggested calcium to me for sleeplessness because I struggled with that more than any thing in the first weeks of pregnancy. I would take 2 calcium tablets (Rainbow Light Organic Calcium...although my friend Renee takes a liquid form which is probably more "bio-available") about 1-2 hours before sleep. It was my saving grace! Even now when I'm super tired, I try to remember to take them because I get deeper sleep. Chris tried them out when he had some cough/congestion business going on in the night and he can attest to this too.

      The scientific research isn't like super firm or anything, but there's something about body temperature and melatonin....I just know it works!

      Also, since the summer ended and Chris and I live in the same place again, we read out loud together before bed and that knocks me right now, so I'm sure that's part of the sleeping also. SURPRISE!!!! turning off the laptop makes it easier to fall asleep...I'm a slow learner.

      Delete