Intro

We named our blog “Raising Mustard Seeds” after the famous parable in Matthew’s Gospel. We had some mustard seeds of our own laying dormant in our hearts, and finally, the year before our marriage, we began to let those seeds grow. Our journey with Christ hasn’t always been easy, but it has bore more fruit than we could possibly imagine. And through the mustard seeds He planted in our hearts, He opened them to receive little mustard seeds of our own…

While Jesus in this parable is talking about how faith and our relationship with God should grow from something very small to something mighty and powerful, it’s applicable to our children as well. It is our hope that through prayer and proper parenting, our children will grow from small and helpless (tiny mustard seeds) to being mighty in Christ, so that they will be shining lights in the world and people will come to “dwell in the branches” of their faith.

So, this is our little space in the big internet where we will share our most likely crazy experiences as we start our family and we hope those who are close to us will enjoy laughing at us and with us, and maybe even learn something new :)

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

10 Peeks into our Week, 1 year old edition! (#12)

Gianna turned 1 on January 21st! It was a wonderful weekend, my mom and sister, Breana, came up to visit. I made a special allergy free coconut chocolate cake with whipped chocolate coconut cream frosting. It was delicious and absolutely whole food baked from scratch. (And, may I say...easy?). Gianna cracked us up with her cake antics (she'd never had any real amount of sugar, besides from fruit, before, so the raw honey really freaked her out I think)

Pretty much cracks me up, this girl. She's so civil with the cake.


She got a backyard swing, new clothes, stacking toys, a read in the dark book, her very own mei tei babycarrier, birthday money, and a ball from the Dollar Tree. Her favorite? Ball from the Dollar Tree. I didn't want to tell my mom "I told you so"...but...proof is in the pudding!

My future baby wearer




 
 Classic

1. One year old Gianna is so flipping cool. We have the best time. She's more snuggly and lets us give her kisses. She runs around everywhere. Her zany little personality is shining even more. She's trying to say lots of words and really communicate. She's just in general at the peak of her adorable-ness, in our opinions.

 I mean, honestly. Peak. Of. Adorable. Please excuse me while I drool over my daughter's beauty.





2. We've been working on putting things "in". She's getting pretty stinking good at it and I love that she is proud of herself.

Enter upcycled containers and extra clothespins from our old laundry line. 5 minutes of entertainment and learning. Blam. Free.

Recycled paper towel tube and Dollar Tree pom poms.


Our most difficult challenge yet...the Piggy Bank. I let her try to put a few coins in every day. Sometimes she'll get one, mostly not. But she's getting way more accurate with her attempts and I love to watch her work.



3. I'm thinking we're going to start doing more "art" projects soon. We experimented a bit with crayons recently, and she only tried to eat them a few times, sooo that's a win, right? I think finger painting will be next, as well as molding clay.

Oh yes, and dry erase markers. This was after I told her the marker was "not food" (see #4)...

Yeah, she put it in her mouth. Like 3 times. Well, she's still alive and kickin', so it's all good.


4. I feel like the only things I say on most days are "not for baby", "not food", "no sounds with the mouth" (oh my goodness, especially at Mass). I should totally record those and just play them when I need to to save energy. It would also freak Gianna out so I would get a good laugh.



5. Y'all already know Gianna sings,but did you know she also plays the recorder? Augh, my heart can scarcely take it.




6. Word count: mama, papa (which, truthfully, she doesn't say anymore, she just says mama regardless of who she wants), hi, bye-bye, thank you, ducky, and we're currently working on "please", "yes, mama", "no, mama"


7. The little conniving genius also found a way to hide food she doesn't feel like eating. She knows she'll get in trouble if she throws food off her highchair, so now,when I'm not looking she will deviously shove the food underneath/to the side of her seat. When I catch her, she smiles and tries to feed me the food...totally plays it cool. Tricky one.


8. Yeah, so I'm obsessed with the Dollar Tree??? The magical land of cheap, disposable fun and learning for Gianna is amazing.

9. Bought Gianna a membership to Rose Heights Community Life Center with her birthday money. They do seasonal memberships for $20, or a whole year for $80. It's a pretty sweet deal and we're going to try to go at least once a week. They have a "snack n play" area with tables and rides and play area and an outside playground. So much fun!



Playhouse...this is her favorite

Flintstones!

Indoor playtubes and activity area below

Like a champ

I love it

With 2 of my friend Lisa's adorable kiddos, Elena and Roman. Elena totally took Gianna under her wing got Gianna totally interested in riding the horses. Too bad Gianna refused to hold on. Quite a delicate balancing act she performed there. 


Elena and Gianna
10. One last bit. Chris plays with Gianna in the morning before he goes to work so that I can sleep in a little bit more. Awesome, right? Well, Gianna knows I'm still in the room in bed and so now she walks up to the door and starts banging on it yelling MAMA! MAMA! MAMA!  Ahhhhhhhhhhh it's a good life!

No comments:

Post a Comment