Intro

We named our blog “Raising Mustard Seeds” after the famous parable in Matthew’s Gospel. We had some mustard seeds of our own laying dormant in our hearts, and finally, the year before our marriage, we began to let those seeds grow. Our journey with Christ hasn’t always been easy, but it has bore more fruit than we could possibly imagine. And through the mustard seeds He planted in our hearts, He opened them to receive little mustard seeds of our own…

While Jesus in this parable is talking about how faith and our relationship with God should grow from something very small to something mighty and powerful, it’s applicable to our children as well. It is our hope that through prayer and proper parenting, our children will grow from small and helpless (tiny mustard seeds) to being mighty in Christ, so that they will be shining lights in the world and people will come to “dwell in the branches” of their faith.

So, this is our little space in the big internet where we will share our most likely crazy experiences as we start our family and we hope those who are close to us will enjoy laughing at us and with us, and maybe even learn something new :)

Saturday, September 1, 2012

How Little Baby Rendall Came to Be: Part 1


It all started in 2005…

Okay people, I won’t actually go that far back. 2005 was, however, a year that would change my life forever. It was the year I graduated and started college, the year I turned 18, but most importantly, the year I began dating my husband, Chris. 

We dated through college and we got engaged in May 2009. This is where the story really begins. We knew one day we would want a family but definitely wanted to wait many, many moons (like until we were 29-30) to have kids so we could travel, be uber successful, blah blah blah. You know, the typical awesome college grad dreams.
Throughout 2009, in addition to planning a wedding, we started our preparation to be married in the Catholic Church. At the time, I was a luke-warm Catholic (on my best days) and Chris wasn’t Catholic. As it turns out, the Church has a lot of awesome things to say about marriage…. 

Ironic Life Moment #1: One thing I specifically remember before we started our official marriage prep is that my cousin Monica (while she trimmed my hair) asked if we had to take Natural Family Planning classes as part of our marriage preparation in the Church. I probably laughed and said I was glad that we didn’t have to. The thought of using NFP was ridiculous to me. I would “never” do that!!!! (Just like I would never marry a blond boy…with blue eyes…..that was a jock….or live in the country……or want more than 2 kids…..or do anything other than be a musician….)

In our marriage prep, we went to what’s called the “Pre-Cana” weekend, and that’s where we first were introduced to the Catholic teaching on marriage (the link has an amazing document on marriage, please read!). Though the truth always sets us free, not all encounters with truth are pleasing at first. But I can say that in this instance it was more than pleasing. We fell in love! The last part of the day was a presentation from a guy on NFP and we were sold. 

Once we got married in April 2010, life moved pretty fast. From that day until January 2012, there were lots of milestones. We moved into our house. Chris became Catholic. I became active in the pro-life movement. We decided that waiting until 30 to begin having kids was not a happy thought for us and that traveling really isn’t THAT awesome. Turns out, we really just enjoy simple things and each others’ company. 

Important Life Moment #1: We were at our friends Tom and Renee’s house sitting at their kitchen table in December 2011. We’d only known them for a short time, but they’re awesome and we grew close quickly. So we were talking about having kids and discussing why we were still waiting to have kids. The whole conversation made me uncomfortable because both Chris and I had discussed this issue many times and without much resolve, mostly on my part. 

Renee said something that really stuck in my mind over the next weeks/months: “Children are the sign of marriage.” If I had only known in that moment how important those wise words would be...

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment